The first week has all been about exploration in this new-to-me physical and mental space. The landscape is awe-inspiring and the hikes are magical. My studio is huge and already feels like home (I am a pro-nester at this point as I have moved 5x this year). The people are incredible (+ I ♡ my roomie). It’s been amazing to see everyone’s work and pick their brains about theory and process. I have been missing that in my life since my undergrad days.
Top 5 Things
1. ART HANGOUTS: Last night a group of us gathered in my studio and just hung out. We’ve been going into town, eating dinners at the cafeteria and grabbing coffee between presentations. Overall it’s been really refreshing to be around other artist and talk art and non-art.
2. LEARNING CANVAS: I’ve picked brains, watch the you-tubes, emailed back and forth with product specialist and am now exploring with canvas. I found this technique that I am obsessed with. It’s very similar to watercolor and allows me to keep the raw canvas exposed. Hello new world, I love you.
3. BEAUTY: I am literally surrounded by mountains in a bowl of natural beauty. It gives me this state of Zen like no other and that comes into my studio. I’ve been taking photos of the colors and ridge lines and want to bring it into my work.
4. NESTING: Once I was given my studio keys I was eager to unpack and make the space feel like mine. Just like a blank canvas I need to create a space where I feel at home and zen.
5. AGGRESSIVE MALES: We hiked and ran into an Elk herd. It’s breeding season and the males are VERY aggressive. We had to turn around and go back once the male laid claim to his land. There were about 10 female/young elks and the male herded them out of the area and then began marking his territory. Bow down to Mother Nature. She always wins.
I am posting a lot on Instagram Stories so be sure to follow me for day-to-day happenings.